360° Excavator wheeled EXC05
Awarding Body:LANTRA Awards
Training course type:On-site training and assessment
Novice training course duration:1-3 days dependant on any previous experience
Novice candidate numbers:4
Experience Worker Tests per day:4
1-10 tonne, Above & below 10 tonnes
Card options:5-year LANTRA traditional card & certificate
Bertie Tupper & Tuppco instructors
What is a 360° Excavator?
The 360°degree excavator digger is a powerful piece of machinery used to excavate and move large objects in a construction environment. The 360°degree range of movement makes excavators ideally suited for different types and stages of work in the industry and it is rare to see a building site without one.
What does the training course include?
- Learning a working knowledge of the manufacturer’s handbook for the particular machine to be used.
- Being able to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions.
- Being able to locate and identify steering, Driving and braking controls and explain their functions.
- Identifying and maintaining PPE appropriate for excavator use.
- Conducting all pre-operational checks in accordance with manufacturers and legislative requirements.
- Safely mounting and dismounting the machine.
- Starting and stopping the engine and safely moving the Machine off and stopping it safely.Configuring the machine for travel and manoeuvring it safely across varying terrain in open and confined areas.
- Conducting all necessary safety checks at the work area
- Manoeuvring the Machine to the Work area and correctly configuring in readiness to carry out excavating tasks.
- Carrying out excavating tasks
- loading material onto transporting vehicles or into containers.
- Reinstating excavation, grade, and level ground
- Fitting and removing attachments.
- Carrying out all end of shift and shut down procedures
Venue and equipment requirements:
- Suitable and safe area to dig trenches and backfill
- Varying terrain and slopes
- Bulk material to load vehicle
- Vehicle or hopper to load (dumper, trailer)
- Suitable and safe area to complete paperwork
- Suitable welfare facilities
- 360° Excavator with digging and grading buckets
- Operators’ manual
- Risk assessment completed
- Suitable head protection
- Suitable eye protection
- Suitable work clothes including wet weather
- Suitable work boots including steel toe protection
- High Viz
HSE further information:
- Avoiding danger from overhead power cables guidance GS6 https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/gs6.pdf
- Avoiding danger from underground services HSG47 https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg47.pdf
- PUWER Regulation
- LOLER Regulations
- 20 multiple choice questions
- 5 written questions
- 4 marks per question
- 80% pass mark required
Practical assessment criteria:
- Pre use and operational checks
- Excavate a “L” shape trench and with vertical ends and back fill
- Trench length: 7 meters each length
- Trench depth: 1 metre
- Trench width: 1 buckets width
- Form a load out bench appropriate for loading vehicles
- Load material on to a vehicle/hopper x 2
- Travel over varying and sloping ground
- Remove and attach bucket/attachment
- Excavator parked safely and isolated
- Pass mark is less than 20 penalty points and no mandatory disqualifications
- Time allowed – NA
On-site training courses delivered:
Southwest – Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Avon, Somerset, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Southeast – Oxfordshire, Kent, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, Middlesex
Midlands – Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Shropshire
East Anglia – Hertfordshire, Essex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk
Aylesbury, Banbury, Basingstoke, Bath, Bedford, Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Cirencester, Cheltenham, Coventry, Exeter, Gloucester, Hereford, Hungerford, Milton Keynes, Newbury, Northampton, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Reading, Salisbury, Southampton, Stroud, Swindon, Taunton, Warwick, Winchester, Witney, Worcester, Yeovil