Course in Advanced Deer Management
Awarding Body:LANTRA AWARDS
Training course type:On-site training and assessment
Novice training course duration:1 -3 days
Novice candidate numbers:1:1
Card options:Upon completion of the course, you will receive our LANTRA Awards Approved certificate of competence. Where required, we can also assist with FAC applications and variations
Restrictions:To gain the most from this training course, applicants should ideally have some experience in deer stalking or deer management, but this is not a necessity.
What is The Course in Advanced Deer Management?
This nationally recognised course – a customised provision approved by LANTRA AWARDS – is now in its sixth year, and is designed to enhance your knowledge and understanding of deer management at a professional level. Whilst it is specifically designed for those with some experience in deer management, especially those who
wish to increase their professional portfolio, it is of benefit to those who may be seeking a career in professional deer and wildlife management. It is equally of benefit to those who are involved in the formulation and implementation of management strategies, or indeed for land agents and managers who are seeking to enhance estate incomes through commercial deer stalking.
What does the training course include?
The Advanced Deer Management course is delivered by LANTRA qualified instructors supported by staff with industry experience in deer-related subjects.
Course Content Includes:
- Advanced Deer Management – Overview
- Deer as part of the wider wildlife management program
- Land designations & land-use implications for deer management
- Deer damage & damage assessment techniques
- Deer impact assessment techniques and equipment
- Understanding population & meta-population dynamics
- Practical Census, herd evaluation & cull planning
- Using the Hoffman Pyramid as a management tool
- Large-scale or intensive culling operations
- Ageing of live deer, and post-mortem ageing
- Reproductive status assessment
- Deer health surveillance and management
- Habitat manipulation for deer control & management
- Park & Farmed Deer
The course is delivered by some of the UK Deer Industry’s most knowledgeable and experienced deer managers, and other lecturers who are specialists in their fields. With the fusion of a wealth of highly professional experience from various fields, we believe that this course is the finest available anywhere in Europe.